LIPOSUCTION TRAINING FAQS
Learn Tumescent Liposuction
When is the next available Liposuction 101 course?
The next Liposuction 101 Training Course is May 14-16, 2015.
Please telephone 949-248-1632 for available space.
We average 3 to 6 courses per year.
How many days does the course encompass and how many participants or student-surgeons are in attendance?
The course encompasses three days: Usually Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and sometimes Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
The maximum number of participants is 12 attendees.
What is the cost of the course?
At present, $7,400 is the fee for attending a Liposuction 101 course. A $2,400 deposit is due with the application, and the balance of $5,000 is due 3 weeks before the course begins.
What is the basic educational design of the Liposuction 101 course?
The course is designed as a seminar with the intention of facilitating an open and in-depth interchange of ideas, questions, suggestions, and constructive criticisms between the instructors and the students. There are four aspects to the course which include:
- Roundtable discussions of ideas and philosophy of ethical and safe liposuction surgery, including marketing, patient selection, and preoperative evaluations.
- Didactic lectures, illustrated by PowerPoint presentations, will cover complications, pharmacology, anatomy, as well as surgical technique for liposuction of all-important anatomic areas.
- In-the-operating-room demonstrations of techniques for tumescent local anesthesia, surgery, and post-operative care.
- Hands-on experience includes the techniques of infiltration of tumescent local and tumescent liposuction totally by local anesthesia.
Will there be hands-on instruction?
The course is specifically intended to facilitate hands-on instruction.
What can a student expect to achieve by completing Liposuction101?
Upon completing the Liposuction 101 students should have acquired a basic understanding of the surgical technique for liposuction totally by local anesthesia.
- Upon completing Liposuction 101, student-surgeons will not be experts but should be able to perform liposuction of limited volumes, with excellent results. Additional observation and instruction is desirable. With continued experience, using a gradual and cautious approach, surgeons are typically able to acquire an increasing degree of surgical expertise.
- The most important aspects of Liposuction 101 is the acquisition of a thorough knowledge of the safety aspects of liposuction, especially knowledge of how to avoid complications. Liposuction 101 teaches that:
- The best surgical technique is the one that maximizes “patient safety”
- The goal of maximizing “convenience for the surgeon” is only of secondary importance. Thus Liposuction 101 emphasizes doing liposuction totally by local anesthesia rather than by general anesthesia.
Which specialties are able to participate in Liposuction 101?
Certified specialists with strong surgical training and skills. The majority of participants are Dermatologists, ENT/Otolaryngologists, General Surgeons, Gynecologists, Opthalmologists and Plastic Surgeons.
Please describe the Capistrano Surgicenter
Liposuction 101 is taught in the Capistrano Surgery Center, facility with 6,000 square feet (650 square meters) and accredited by the AAAHC (American Association for Ambulatory Health Care). There are two Operating Rooms (ORs) and dressing rooms with lockers for physicians.
Is there any discounts given to residents or fellows?
Yes, fellows and residents of surgical appropriate training programs, who provide a letter of recommendation from their residency program director, are eligible for a 25% discount, limited to 2 discounted tuitions per course.
Is there a discount for surgeons who take the course for a second time?
Yes, Doctors who take the course for the second time receive a 25% discount, limited to 2 discounted tuitions per course.
How can my nurse or medical assistant receive training in the nursing aspects of tumescent infiltration and tumescent liposuction?
We also offer Nursing Tumescent Liposuction Courses (Nursing TLCs) for nurses and medical assistants. We strongly recommend that surgeons attend the course with one or more nurses. The biggest hurdle to introducing a new technique, such as liposuction, in to one’s practice is overcoming the anxiety inertia of one’s nursing staff. Nursing TLC will teach all the nursing aspects of tumescent liposuction including: pre-op evaluation, preparation of medications, dosage calculations, intra-operative assistance, post-op care, follow-up protocols.
We have found a very strong correlation between nursing attendance and the successful introduction of tumescent liposuction into a surgeon’s practice. We offer 3 day Nursing TLC which is given at times other than with Liposuction 101, and also a 2 day course given concurrently with Liposuction 101.
Is there a certificate given at the completion of the course?
Yes. A certificate of completion is given to each physician. A separate certificate is given to each nurse in attendance.